This LibGuide is the website for students enrolled in LIB 104, Technical Services: Acquisitions, Serials and Processing.
Click on the topical tabs above to navigate through this website.
Principles of acquiring, processing, and preserving library materials, including bibliographic searching, choosing vendors, ordering, receiving, physical processing, budget accounting, binding, repairing, and preserving. Knowledge of basic terminology and processes in technical services activities. Recommended Lib 101. Total of 54 hours lecture.
Required textbook: Kao, Mary Liu. Introduction to Technical Services for Library Technicians. New York: Haworth Press, 2001.
Supplemental textbook: Evans, G. Edward, Intner, Sheila S., Weihs, Jean Riddle. Introduction to Technical Services. Santa Barbara, Calif. : Libraries Unlimited, c2011. It is NOT necessary to purchase this book. It is available to PCC students in the library's EBSCOhost eBook Collection. There has been a problem with accessing this e-book directly using EBSCO's "permalink." Instead, access the e-book by doing the following:
1) Go to the Shatford Library's Databases by Name.
2) Click on EBSCO eBook Collection.
3) In the search box, type the title: Introduction to Technical Services
4) Click the green search button.
5) Select the first entry (with the orange and blue cover, 8th edition)
6) Click on Table of Contents and select the chapter you have been assigned to read.
Also, the book is available as a print copy with call number and location: Z688.6 U6 E84 2011. Second Floor - Textbooks (Non-Circulating).
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- Demonstrate basic library technical services functions including acquisitions, serial subscriptions, processing materials and conservation/preservation principles.
- Demonstrate procedures to order library resources, maintain fund accounts, process and repair library materials.
Resources for technical services support staff
Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS), a division of the American Library Association. "...ALCTS is the premier resource for information specialists in collection development, preservation, and technical services."
"An international organization which works to address the issues and concerns of library and media support staff personnel."
ALA-sponsored round table “for addressing a wide variety of issues of concern to library support staff, including but not limited to basic training programs, education, career development, job duties and responsibilities…”
“Forum for and about library support staff issues. ASSOCIATES is published three times per year in March, July, and November. Subscription is FREE!”
Students, take note: The library support staff journal called Library Mosaics mentioned in your textbook on page 7 ceased publication in 2005.
Library Technical Services
A behind the scenes look at the Library Technical Services Department in the City of Plano, Texas.
Job Description Samples
Library Media Technician III - Acquisitions. This position is from El Camino College in Torrance, CA. Some of the very relevant keywords and qualifications include certificate in library technology, acquisitions, cataloging, serials, mending, binding, and financial record keeping. Open the Word document to read the full description.
Assistant Technical Services Librarian. Another position announcement, while for a librarian rather than a library technician, is instructive. As you read through the role, responsibilities, requirements, and preferred qualifications you will see many of the functions and terminology discussed in class.
Pepperdine University Library Technician.
ODLIS — Online Dictionary for Library and Information Science
Use this online dictionary as an additional source for understanding the terminology in our class textbook.
How to print a box from a LibGuide
Some of you have asked if it is possible to print information from a single "box" in this LibGuide. According to Springshare, the company that produces the software for this website, it is not possible. Here are two workarounds:
1. Use the "Print Preview" selection in the File menu of your browser to print only the boxes that contain the information you need.
2. Various methods of "screen capture" exist, and depend on the operating system of your computer and the web browser you are using. One simple and free plugin is ScreenHunter from Wisdom Software. A safe, free copy is available for downloading at CNET.com Click here to see an instructional video for the Windows 7 "Snipping Tool."
Some introductory humor: Technical Services "Emergency Room"
Arlington Heights Memorial Library Technical Services
This is an "ER" TV series spoof video for the Arlington Heights Memorial Library (Illinois) Technical Services Department, entitled "TS". The LibVlog series video was written by and stars AHML staff members. Although it may be a library's version of "ER," don't bother looking for George Clooney!
LIB 104: Technical Services, Pasadena City College